Monday, July 20, 2009

Key West Theories and Realities







You know those pictures that show you sugar white beaches? The ones that scream COME TO THE KEYS!!! Yeah. There really aren't beaches in the Keys. The reef is several miles off shore, that is where the waves break. So, the joke was on us as we drove miles and miles trying to find a beach that wasn't hard coral rock. We ended up in Key West at a man made cove. They are illegal to dig out now, so this one has been there awhile. The Keys are for boating, snorkeling and fishing. Not for beach lying or swimming. *facepalm*

Sam, Riley and Ellie enjoyed snorkeling. Katie and I searched for shells. We watched while sailboats raced into the sunset. It was beautiful. Even if it wasn't what we thought it would be. Thank goodness for that little cove!!! Sam saw legions of yellow fish swimming together. I could hear Riley crying, COOL!, through his snorkel!!! Katie has been searching for shark teeth, which are black here...so we will keep looking. For me, it is enough that we have been blessed to be here together as a family. It means more to me than anything else.

To be able to hug my Dad. To share the beach with my family. To body surf. To place one foot in the gulf and the other in the Atlantic ocean. To eat sand. Not intentionally...of course! To run, and laugh. And live and love. This is life at it's best!

3 comments:

heather said...

Love the new blog background and man...beach paradise!!!

Melissa said...

Oh my, how frustrating! The pictures are gorgeous. So glad you are getting to have such fun with your family! We leave tomorrow for a two-week trek to AZ and NM, and my dad is going with us. He travels with me when I go. It's cool because I have another adult with me, he gets to hang with me and the grandkids, and he gets to visit family. The funny thing is that he and my mom have been divorced since the mid 80's. It just goes to show you how nice he is and how nice the rest of my family is. Once family, always family. My cousins are still his nieces and nephews, and my mom's sister is still his sil. It's all good. I wonder if the Lord knew that would be important to me? I don't take it for granted, that's for sure. Hugs and love to you!

MarkCooz said...

I Love your background!
you have a lovely family!
I really like what you did to your page, if you have some time in your hands please visit my blog page, I really want to customize my blog like yours!

thanks!