Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Crazy Summer Blues

Well it has been a crazy summer so far.
Good, crazy and blue.
All at once!

June brought baseball games, warm summer rain and kids home from school.
As the ball games wound down and the afternoon thunderstorms began to roll across the sky...
I got a phone call...from my Dad.  On a sunny bright Sunday he called to tell me that 
Dot, my beloved Grandmother was very sick.  After a heartfelt conversation, some prayers on my knees,
I packed a suitcase and bought a one way ticket to  Louisiana.
My heart whispered to me a one way ticket would do.
Sam would come get me when all was said and done.

I flew in to a sticky hot welcome.  Rented a car and drove to my Grandad's. 
I had no plans, other than to help and love.
Dot helped me to better understand how to love.
What love reallly is...
And to never, ever stop loving someone.
No matter what.

So, Love flew into town, and wrapped her arms around her family.
That love was me.  That love was freely given.  A gift.
As I look back across my life, it was far from perfect.
But love was part of it.  
As I have grown and looked back across the expanse of years...
the realization that love started it all has been a surprise to me.
A welcome one...

And in return that love multiplied.
As I held Dot in my arms and cried.
As I stroked her hair and hot tears streamed down my face.
As I thanked her for her gift of love to me.
And gently told her I would see her soon...
and never, ever forget how much 
LOVE
                means to me.

I suppose Love is what lingers...
                 when the body becomes a shell
and the soul is set free.

Maybe that is why she waltzed into heaven on July 4th...
to claim Independence...
      and embrace love

And this Love...(me) 
is left behind
                     to live
                               to laugh
and most of all....
to love.

See you soon Dot...
I can't wait!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

That was beautifully stated Amy. I'm so sorry for your loss, and very glad that you got to visit with her before she passed. Love you. xoxo