Thursday, September 1, 2011

The first two weeks and camping...

We are settling into a routine, if that is what you call it... I prefer craziness!!  School schedules are finally settled and everyone seems to be happy with what they are doing.  Riley is in football and had his first game of the season last night.  It is such a struggle to get him to practice and games, but, I know it is worth it.  He really, really loves it.  He has more heart on that football field than I could have ever imagined a 13 year old could have... He will be 14 in a week.  Is taller than me, and soon will outweigh me too.  The changes he has gone through this past summer have been obvious.  He is maturing...( well as much as any boy can at this age) and being more responsible.  It is wonderful to watch him suffer growing pains as he grows into himself.  Katie is loving orchestra and drama.  Katie, drama?  Same sentence, yes.  My little shy girl LOVES drama.  Who knew?  She is rocking out on her cello...which sounds much less squeaky than a violin.  Listening to a child learn the violin is like scratching your fingernails down a chalkboard.  Listening to a child learn the cello...is kind of like a bad cookie.  And we all know that bad cookies don't exists.  She has grown so much.  She is turning into a beautiful young woman.  If I could only get her to see that...  She is taller than me too.  *sigh*  The scary part is she is all legs.  ALL LEGS.  She has the longest legs I have ever seen.  ( Well besides Sam's...)  She really is growing up.  She of course still spends a lot of time reading and writing.  Now if she would only let us read what she writes.  That leads us to Ellie.  Our personal sunshine has been kinda pouty.  Hopefully it is just a stage and she will get over herself.  She was super excited to test into gifted math...surprise!, Not.  Math is still her favorite subject with science a very close second.  She made a salt dough map of Utah this week.  And painted it too.  Along with her clothes and face and arms and...you get the picture. Most of herself along with it.  It's awesome.  We are trying to find her a piano teacher.   She is ready to get back to a creative outlet.  She has been playing alot on her own and finally came and asked to have lessons.

As I type this, Sam has them all packed up with horses, bells and whistles to go camping in Boulder.  Labor day weekend is always a fun time for them.  They ride the horses, camp, eat junk and hang out.  Sam gets to hang out on the side of a mountain and try to shoot things.  *sigh*  And clear his mind.  This is a time of reflection for him.  Fall always is, for both of us.  I am trying to see the good in everything.  There is a lot going on right now and we are simply trusting the Lord's plan for us.  Sam shattered his elbow about 3 weeks ago, his grandmother died, and I am having some health issues too.  We will get through and be better for it.  All I know, is, I love that man.  LOVE!  He is everything I wish I could be. He makes me a better person simply by allowing me to be in his life.  So together we keep holding onto each other and to the Lord.  When the storm clouds clear away...a perfect rainbow will be on the other side.  Can't wait to see you there!!!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

So, for the first time ever, I read your blog aloud to my girls. All was going well until we got to Sam's elbow and your health issues. The girls are worried about you. Send me a line when you can and let us know what's up if you can. xoxo

Andie~ said...

Aaaah, we love you guys! AND MISS YOU! I can't wait until we find a time and place to get together again! Hang in there lady....I'm on a Rainbow Hunt as well!

Kathy Habel said...

Sounds like life is mostly good. Way to look on the bright side!